The current history of Huber Heights as a community is largely shaped by its past. Prior to becoming incorporated as the city of Huber Heights, the community was named Wayne Township in honor of Maj. Gen. Anthony Wayne.
The start of the most major transformation to hit the township since its original founding occurred in 1956. In that year, Charles H. Huber started the first privately owned utility company in Ohio and launched the construction of his first plat of brick, single-family homes. From 1956 to 1992, Huber Homes built a total of 10,707 single-family homes and 2,258 multifamily units in the community. The late 1950's also saw the construction of Interstate 70 through the northern section of the township, an event that also would have a major impact on the future development of the community.
In 1960, the township's population had risen dramatically, to 12,022. By 1970, this figure had leaped to nearly 28,000. Today, the population is over 40,000. The fact that Huber Heights developed initially as a satellite “bedroom” community of Dayton accounts for the fact that Huber Heights doesn't have a clearly defined downtown area.
The 1990s brought a surge in commercial and industrial development around the various residential plats. The North Heights Plaza and Northpark Center brought numerous retail and commercial establishments that expanded the shopping opportunities for the residents.
In 1994, the city also saw the development of the Center Point 70 Commerce Park, and between 1994 and 1998 more than 15 manufacturing businesses opened, employing over 1,700 people. In 1998, nearly 700 businesses called Huber Heights home.
As the city has grown over the years, both in population and commercial/industrial development, it has developed an identity for itself revolving around the community festivals, and the local school system, with Wayne High School as the flagship educational institution in the city.