School health screenings are required of all students new to the district. The screenings shall include the areas of vision, hearing, speech, and communication, and they shall include all medical problems and any developmental disorders. .
Parents who refuse to have their children screened must sign a waiver and submit it.
Yearly vision screenings are performed on students in selected grades (Pre-K, K, 1,3,5,7,9 and 11th), or through the request of teachers or parents. All students new to the district are also screened. Screenings are completed by Clinic Assistants or the District Nurses.
Staff will be notified of dates for testing by the Clinic/Office Assistant.
- For grades Pre-K,K,1, the crowded LEA symbols chart at 5 ft screening tool will be utilized, to determine passing distance and stereopsis.
- For grades 3,5,7,9 and 11th, the SLOAN chart at 10 feet screening tool will be utilized.
- All students new to the school district will also have a vision screening.
- Students will be required to cover left eye first and then right eye while naming the letter/symbol.
- Results for Pr-K,K,1 will be listed as pass/fail.
- Results for 2-12 are recorded as a fraction 20/30 is considered passing in both eyes.
- Referral letters are sent home with students in grades Pr-K-6th. In grades 7-12, referral letters are mailed to student's home address.
- All first grade boys will be tested for color blindness. Referrals do not have to be made as there is no treatment for this condition, but a Color Blindness Screening Notification form must be sent home.
- Results of any screening over 20/30 or fail, will be re-screened and will be recorded on Vision Follow-up Record, and in the DASL student information systems.
- After second failure, a Vision Referral Letter, and Eye Specialist Report Form will be sent to parents/guardians. Referral will be noted in DASL.
- Notify appropriate staff (teacher/counselors) of vision referrals, as it could affect their academic success.
- When referrals are returned, notify teachers and appropriate staff of results and treatment. Also place results in medical alerts if glasses are prescribed full time.
- Vision Follow-up letter will be sent approximately three months after the initial referral letter has been sent. All follow-up contacts must be documented in DASL..
Yearly hearing screenings are conducted on students in selected grades (Pre-K, K, 1,3,5,9 and 11th) and through teacher or parent request. In addition, all students new to the district will also have a hearing screening. Screenings are completed by the Clinic/Office Assistants and District Nurses.
Clinic/Office Assistants will determine with Principal and teachers the appropriate day for scheduling hearing evaluations.
- All screening is provided using the ANSI standards. The Pure-Tone testing method per calibrated audiometer is required.
- Frequencies tested are 1000, 2000, and 4000Hz at 20dB.
- Ear pieces are color-coded to represent red over right ear, blue over left ear. Snug fit is preferred, remove any barriers (i.e., head bands, glasses, hair).
- Testing begins at 4000Hz at 20dB, decreasing to 1000 Hz in right ear, then change to left ear and begin same testing. If student is unable to hear tone, head set is readjusted for snug fit. Then attempt testing again. Student may raise hand, nod in the affirmative, and give any positive response to the tone emitted from the ear piece.
- Results are recorded by which ear, frequency, and volume that was not responded to.
- Clinic/Office Assistant/Nurses will record failures on Hearing Screening Test blank forms with results.
- Re-screening will be done 4-6 weeks from initial failure.
- Results of the re-screen for failures will be sent to parent/legal guardian and will include
- hearing referral form
- hearing specialist report form
- Documentation will be made in the DASL student information system.
- Notify appropriate school staff, teachers, counselors of hearing referrals as it could impact their academic success.
- Hearing Follow-up will be sent approximately three months after the referral letter has been sent. All follow-up contacts must be documented in DASL.